The greatest gift of all!

CEO Blog



Acushnet, Massachusetts. December 16, 2016

Wednesday morning, December 14, at 1:20am, we had a fire outside our building. Our transformer shed, two-feet from the building, exploded and caught fire.

Acushnet Fire Chief Kevin Gallagher and his firefighters stopped the fire from spreading to our building, which would have put us out of commission at the busiest time of the year! Never mind the terrible thought of a fire fighter being hurt or the fire putting us out of business … literally!



Building owner Rick Miller was on the scene right away and as soon as the fire was out, he was on the phone. A few hours later the two most professional Electrical Contractors in the area;  Jope Electric and Sulyma Electric arrived to evaluate the damage and to help construct an action plan to get power back into the building. Rick secured a high capacity diesel generator, which was delivered later that same day and the fine folks at Warrior Fuels will keep the generator humming.

Volunteer photos here

Volunteer photos here

We re-opened the next afternoon, 36 hours after the fire! Besides the sound of a generator humming away in our parking lot, it is business as usual. On Friday, over sixty local students came to volunteer along with 20 adults and we were able to distribute 125 gift packages of warm winter clothing, toys and books to local children in-need. All in all another magical day for us.

None of this could have happened had the fire department been late, or not competent. Or the building owner not available or have a huge heart. Or the electrical contractors too busy or not professional. Or the daily fuel for the generator not being available or at the right price.

We are in the business of building a more caring community and today we were, in fact, a recipient of that caring community and it is as tangible as it gets. We are grateful beyond words!

GiftsToGive – CEO Blog
December 16, 2016 at Acushnet, Massachusetts

Jim Stevens
CEO and Founder, GiftsToGive



Follow us